6 July 2013

The Skye's the limit (first 3 days)

This years family holidays had finally arrived , we were bound for the isle of Skye! One thing that was worrying me on this trip was the forecast, it wasn't great for the first full day 30mph winds and rain on the Sunday, so we went to the capital Portree and myself my son jack and his pal Lewis had a go at lrf in the harbour, first I set up Lewis then as I was setting jacks rod up Lewis had a wee sea scorpion.
A good start , before long we were all catching small pollack and coal fish , then Lewis lent his rod to my wife Sylvia and she reeled in a tiny codling, I then took another two.
totie pollack

wee cod

I also managed out in the evening to do a bit fishing at loch Greshornish . I chose the location partly cause it was close by but also cause it was sheltered , infact it was so shelterd i was being eaten alive by the midges , its the only day they bit, and the only day i never applied my  smidge repellent.
Greshornish point

  The target , pollack on the fly. There's a 30 minute walk to the point, but what a smashing mark it is , first cast I saw a small pollack followed my deceiver then I got one not huge , in fact pretty wee but nice to get off the mark.
 I had a few more follows then I shredded my fly line on the barnacles, I know exactly when I did it , and was a bit annoyed at myself as it effectively ended the evenings fishing prematurely .

Any way I made a temporary repair and managed to cast to a degree , but no more fish on the point took , on my way back up the road I stopped of at another outcrop, and hooked a fish first cast , got to say this actually looked a little better for pollack than the point as it had good depth, but the point it's self looks a great wrasse haven.

The path to Neist point
stone piles
neist point  lighthouse
The groovy gang

Monday saw the family visit Neist point, simply a stunning mark though it was a little rough out the front, so we fished Moonen bay, after a blank in one bay we moved to the loading bay where my son Jack's first cast with his jelly worm said " dad I'm stuck on the bottom" then before we knew it we could see a stonking pollack  below us , we netted and weighed it, what a cracker 3 1/2 pound, it was then his wish that it was returned.
that's ma boy!
Try as we could me and Lewis could not get a take.

The rocks at Pooltiel
 So we headed back up to the car and on the way stopped of at sheltered  loch pooltiel for an hour and a half. Wasn't sure what fly to put on and wasn't full of confidence, saw a few wee coalies so scaled down from my big 2/0 deceiver to a size 2 chartreuse and white clouser,  did a 30 second count down and with almost instant effect I started to get pollack over the next hour I had 4 fish the best and last fish just over 4 1/2 pound , they have phenomenal power and they take a bit of holding to stop them crash diving into the snaggy kelp beds. At last i felt i had cracked it.

 kept two table sized fish for the pot and made a nice fish pie out of them.

pollack Pie....... mmmm.

Tuesday was another day of heavy rain and strong winds , we had a tour round the Trotternish peninsular stopping off at a few attractions, not the best day for photography the old man of Storr was covered by mist, but got a picture of kilt rock.
More days to come.......

No comments:

Post a Comment