With the trout still prefering the slowest parts of the river , there was a severe lack of water to fish , after sitting around for an hour or so we decided to head upstream , to a big flat , which brian knew would offer a bit shelter. It really is a waiting game , and fortune plays a big part, theres no guarantees. We sat and waited, i saw a fish upstream mopping up march browns in the edge , i felt confident i could get turnover in the downstream wind but unfortunately i dint get the opportunity as he stopped rising ,i may have put him down perhaps he caught a glimpse of me whilst foraging for flies whilst turning back downstream , the trout are not keeping station just now there covering quite an area . We sat a little longer the hatch wasnt big and though there were the odd march brown the olives also put in a appearance , Brian sat it out on a intermittent riser downstream whilst i sat huddled in the bankside , just upstream , and as luck would have it a fish rose about 15ft directly across from me. He then rose again minutes later then again so i decided to try and feed him my shucked cdc, and fortunately for me he liked the look of it.
That was out lot, it had been a tough session . I went for a walk downstream for a few miles but didnt see any risers , the water looked as if it was pushing through just a little too fast. It would be nice to get ideal conditions , mild , low water the fish moving in the faster water and im sure the times will come , until then you just have to make the most of what we've got.