11 April 2013

Superstition?

I must admit that as far as fishing and luck go, I am full of superstition, I have preferred hats , jackets. Etc, some which I can not be without whilst on the riverbank.The old lucky hat had to go to the bin before the start of the season as it was so worn , but I think I've broken in another?

So it was with a new hat, I headed of to do a spot of fishing with down the local trout stream.
I immediately realised I had forgotten my weigh net, something I'm rarely comfortable with but often a good omen.

I was set up by 1:30pm nothing was happening barely a fly hatching, and hardly surprising with the cold easterly and a faint sign of harr blowing off the sea. The river though was looking gorgeous , nice and low with reasonable clarity, just how I like it.

With in 15 minutes though the odd olive was coming off so I headed downstream to see if I could find a feeding fish, a fish rose , must have been 1:50pm , I got in position and left it to feed to see if it would start to feed a bit more intensely, by 2 pm the hatch was at it's peak, (and it was a really good hatch )the fish though seemed to feed in spells , taking 2 emerging flies and then having a rest, he was also a bit of a wanderer working a area but not rising twice in the same spot  , and after casting a Klink followed by a curved CDC , He was starting to get to me a bit. A fly change to a shucked CDC emerged did the business, it took 20 minutes to crack the code, but it was worth it with a stunning fat burnished trout being my reward blessed with ample pectoral fins ,I think the shucked cdc is  going to see a good bit action over this spring.


 shucked klink recipe
hook : sprite 14
shuck: small pinch of singed poly yarn
abdomen:;olive turkey  biot
wing: cdc
thorax: olives hares ear



Up in the next pool another fish was going steady, again in the lee of a fallen  tree, ignoring the Duns and taking emergers.



again he was a wanderer , but with the study done on the first trout , It wasn't long before I struck into him, then there was fireworks as he jumped and pelted off below me downstream , eventually though he tired and i brought him to hand .



That was my lot, only another fish I spotted which surfaced twice, despite covering it I could not tempt it. Looks like what few fish are feeding at the moment are generally of a good stamp though the fore casted change in the weather this weekend should help bring more fish on the feed. Now i have to question myself is it  my new hat ,or is it leaving  the net that  brought  me good fortune?

5 comments:

  1. Great stuff.
    Could you post the recipe for that fly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, I,ll edit the post with the recipe below the picture

      Delete
    2. Thanks,
      I tied up a variation. I'll give it a good test next time out.

      Delete
  2. nice col, cracking trout there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers bri, there well worth the effort.

      Delete