7 October 2012

sun, sea and flatfish

We were back on an  East Lothian beach yesterday, with the hope of catching some nice flounders and maybe a turbot if we were lucky, unlike the last visit, we fished two rods each this time to increase  our chances of success.

I was quickly of the mark landing two flounders in quick succession before Col had his first double shot of the day



Col had a good wee spell after that landing a few including a nice pounder and a tiny Turbot!
note the disposable gloves to try and keep the stink of the smelly bait of our hands!


I was having a quite spell so moved up the beach where i lost a decent fish before landing my first ever double shot


it was a lovely day to be on the beach


sport slowed down after that but Col landed another decent flounder and just as we were ready to call it a day i got a better one too, three for the frying pan.


Total tally for the day was six flounders  for me, seven for Col plus the lovely wee turbot.

7 comments:

  1. I live close to the sea, but never fish the salt....except to fish for flounder. They are excellent table fare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they are that Alan, i had mine for supper last night,only wee fillets but very tasty, even my fussy kids wanted some! we'll keep trying for a decent Turbot too as i believe they are excellent table fare.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like an excellent day you guys had, It's years since I've caught a flatty but I must say you're reports are putting me right in the mood. Isn't that stinky bait just the worst though, I think that's why I never go bait fishing anymore, I took my wee lass up the canal with a tub of maggots a while back, I'd forgotten how smelly they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your not wrong there , i could smell the mackeral infusion the next day in the kitchen, turne out it as y jacket draped over the chair, it gets everywhere!

      Delete
  4. Lovely little fish the Turbo wish we could get a few more big ones...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a Turbot like the ones caught up in Shetland recently would be nice!

      Delete
  5. Yes, thats a point, guys in my club had a trip cancelled last month.

    When you catch them off the beach you recognise the right sand for them if that makes sense, perfect pointillism when you look at them.

    ReplyDelete